Tuesday 19 April 2011

Born Yesterday


Born Yesterday was originally a show, well still is, and has also been filmed again in 1992 with Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith. The movie I’m talking about is the one from 1950. Born Yesterday is a comedy with a rather Pygmalionesque plot. A brutish and somewhat shady millionaire (Broderick Crawford) arrives in Washington, ready to let his money make an imprint. He also brings his mistress Billie (Judy Holiday) a pretty, but shrill and vapid blonde. He soon finds her a bit embarrassing and hires a journalist (William Holden) to refine her. Of course she isn’t stupid, just uneducated and quickly gets a bit more refined than a shady millionaire really finds comfortable. Doesn’t matter, as Billie has fallen in love with her journalist and him in her.



This is a very funny movie. The role of Billie was originally ear-marked for Rita Hayworth, but she declined. And no matter how much I like Rita Hayworth- I just can’t imagine her as Billie. Judy Holiday is so perfect and manages to make her character touching, when she so easily could just have been a very annoying blonde. Billie also have some really lovely clothes, as one should have, if one co-habit with a millionaire. I couldn’t find pictures of all of the, though, like a very cute dotted jacket.

This looks like a waistcoat, but is actually a floor-length coat, worn over trousers. Impractical, but lovely.






I love this hat!


3 comments:

Evie said...

This is such a great movie. She was really a good actress, and her clothes in this are fabulous!

Lindsay Cillessen said...

I love this movie!

Isis said...

I haven't seen any other movie with Judy Holiday, I need to do something about that, as I love her in this one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...